WE ARE DEDICATED TO HELPING OUR COMMUNITY IN PETERBOROUGH AND THE SURROUNDING AREA
SCHOLARSHIPS TO STUDENTS STUDYING IN HORTICULTURAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL RELATED STUDIES
GRANTS TO COMMUNITY GARDENS
With the proceeds of the Garden Show, we are proud to offer scholarships to qualifying students who are studying horticulture or horticulture-related fields. Up to four scholarships of $1,000 each are presented annually to qualified applicants.
Also from some of the proceeds of the show we have provided grants to various organizations in Peterborough and the surrounding communities for community horticultural projects. In the past years we have supported:
- Campbellford & District Horticultural Society: Healing Garden Pathway
- Camp Kawartha: Pollinator Learning Garden
- Ennismore & District Horticultural Society: Churchill Crescent Garden
- Fairhaven: Trees for their Dream Garden
- Lakefield Youth Unlimited: Canoe Lettuce Project
- Millbrook Garden Club & Municipal Heritage Committee: Resting Garden
- Nourish Havelock Task Force: Community Garden
- Riverview Park & Zoo: Garden Renovation Projects
- Peterborough Exhibition: Junior Garden Show
OUR 2020 SCHOLARSHIP WINNER
Victoria Readings is an Ecosystem Management Technician student at Fleming College. She is an avid gardener and resident of Douro-Dummer, where she is currently opening her own small business, Victoria’s Eco Gardening. Here, she is sharing her horticultural experience and love for nature by practicing more ecologically sustainable, adaptable, and responsible methods of gardening. She gets especially excited about planting native species, naturalizing shorelines, identifying plants, and working in pollinator gardens. Victoria also holds a master’s degree in critical sociology from Brock University, where she studied ecotourism and wildlife viewing. When she’s not in the garden, her laugh can be heard in greenhouses, nurseries, and at volunteer events in the Kawartha region.
Since 2002, the Peterborough Horticultural Society has given away over $200,000 to worthy students and projects! Amazing what a group of volunteers can do when they work together toward a common goal. We can always use more volunteers, though — come out and join the fun.
THE PETERBOROUGH HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY